2017 Gardening Year In Review

A place to talk all things gardening and growing.
kellyg

2017 Gardening Year In Review

Postby kellyg » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:46 pm

I thought I'd start a thread and welcome members to discuss their 2017 gardening year. What worked for you this year, and what didn't?

Were there some new plants or varieties you tried and loved, or maybe some that gave you trouble?

And most importantly, what did you learn from your gardening this year, and what do you hope to achieve in 2018?

This year in Edmonton it felt like a bit of the battle against weather. We had a very cool and prolonged beginning to spring, which pushed back planting out dates. Then we had uncommonly wet weather. Then on top of that, a hail storm that beat back my plants pretty good - some never quite recovered.

The good thing about a season like that is you get to see what varieties really can pull through in a bind for you, and my Slocan Snow Peas, 'Rita's Black' tomato, 'Novocserkaszkij' tomato, and Mr. Tung's pole beans all did quite well even with the wacky conditions.

I think next year, much to my shagrin, I'm going to give a soil a bet of a rest from the solanums and really focus on beans, corn, and some shorter season squash and melons.

I'd love to hear some recommendations for some shorter season melons if anybody had some that have worked well for them. We're quite dry here, and really just have June, July, August, and the very beginning of September for a good growing season, so 100 days from transplant is about my max.

Brian C.

Re: 2017 Gardening Year In Review

Postby Brian C. » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:46 am

Try "Small Shining Light" watermelon! I've grown it out twice in less than ideal seasons - though with some doting and pampering - and it yielded a respectable crop.
Attachments
Small Shinig Light Trellis.JPG
Small Shinig Light Trellis.JPG (234.39 KiB) Viewed 1855 times

bob-wildfong

Postby bob-wildfong » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:23 am

We started the season with a lot of rain, then ended with hardly any. That's actually ideal for a lot of seed crops, like lettuce which likes cool, moist soil when it starts but needs dry conditions to produce good seeds. However, it wasn't so great for tomatoes that got a really strong infection of late blight. Most survived long enough to get some ripe fruit, but not long enough to enjoy them properly. Great year for peas and root vegetables, because they liked the moisture early on.

kellyg

Postby kellyg » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:16 pm

[quote="Brian C."]Try "Small Shining Light" watermelon! I've grown it out twice in less than ideal seasons - though with some doting and pampering - and it yielded a respectable crop.[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion Brian! I grew Moon & Stars last year and got some really tasty (small) fruit, but of course most of it was hit by frost before I even got a chance to harvest the bigger ones. I'll add Small Shining Light to my list for 2018!

[quote="bob-wildfong"]We started the season with a lot of rain, then ended with hardly any. That's actually ideal for a lot of seed crops, like lettuce which likes cool, moist soil when it starts but needs dry conditions to produce good seeds. However, it wasn't so great for tomatoes that got a really strong infection of late blight. Most survived long enough to get some ripe fruit, but not long enough to enjoy them properly. Great year for peas and root vegetables, because they liked the moisture early on.[/quote]

Ugh, tell me about it Bob! We had the same thing. Plus the hail. Normally the southern part of the province gets much more hail than we do, and we go by relatively unscathed, but this year were got pummelled too. I can say my peas did do great! Next year I'm going to plant more - more to send off to the SoDC library and then more to share.

I felt like this year I was ripening a lot more tomatoes indoors than I normally have to, and of course they're never quite as good for eating.

Return to “General Garden Banter”