Plants in containers 2017

A place to talk all things gardening and growing.
member11980

Plants in containers 2017

Postby member11980 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:15 pm

Just to get a discussion going , I will tell you what I have on the grow.
Over 40 tomatoe plants----mostly heirloom.
Over 30 pepper plants.
About 20 eggplants.
And 3 sorry looking sweet potatoes.

bob-wildfong

Re: Plants in containers 2017

Postby bob-wildfong » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:39 pm

That's a lot of plants. What kind of containers do you use, and how large do they have to be to grow those plants? And how often do you have to water? So many questions, but people ask me about this all the time so I can use all the tips I can get.

member1927

Postby member1927 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:30 pm

On the west coast, in spite of frequent watering, our main crop plants suffered from drought in 2016. However we had a bumper crop of Large White Lima Beans grown in containers on our south facing front steps. This year we are growing Lima beans and Mikado Tomatoes in containers. The Mikado is a variety we have spent years bringing back to its original potato leaves and purple colour. Containers help in plant selection.

member10499

Postby member10499 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:08 pm

I do not have much garden space to grow items so I use pots for a lot of stuff. This year I am growing potatoes in pots; as well as some endive and some cos lettuce. I am doing it for seed purposes. I have 5 types of heritage potatoes and I use a 10 inch pot to grow them. The yield is smaller potatoes but I am saving most of them for seed anyways. The endive is a white curled leaf variety that was listed in a Canadian seed catalogue from 1923. I had to go to Holland to find that variety though. Will see how it goes. The endive and lettuce are growing in #1 pots.

All the pots are plastic of some sort; usually purchased through the local garden centre; not at Home Depot.

I am on the west coast so there is either too much rain or it is drought conditions especially in July / August. I found that each pot should have its own tray and that helps in times of drought as the water doesn't run off, it will be adsorbed back up into the pot as the plant needs it. When I don't have the tray the pot can dry out a lot faster and cause problems for growth and seed production. If we get a big long spell of rain then I just have to drain the tray once in a while.

So far so good.

member11980

Postby member11980 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:07 pm

I use containers of all sizes and I do some with more than one plant.
Some are clay , but most are plastic. 24 inch pots can take two or three plants.
Peppers are in 5 gallon pails which I punched drainage holes.
Watering is a chore when they are first planted, but it depends on weather too.
In July I will only water the pots once a week. Unless there is a real hot week.
I am older, and I just find this more enjoyable. Critters do less damage to potted plants too.

member1563

Postby member1563 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:58 pm

I met a SoDC member in Alberta that grew all his tomatoes in containers in his greenhouse and used an electric toothbrush to simulate buzz pollination and get better fruit and seed set! Genius!
Michelle Smith, northwindfarmer

Return to “General Garden Banter”